Ecology Business Office (EBO) - Basics

“The goal of the business office is to operate with integrity while supporting the School’s business operations, to include fiscal affairs, information technology, fundraising, employee relations, facilities management, faculty affairs and process improvements.”

Click here for an organizational chart.


Front Office
Joanne Greenway, Front Office Assistant
Room 103
Supervisor: Leslie Sitz

Leslie Sitz, Executive Assistant to the Dean
Room 106B
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer


Amberly Tankersley, Sr. Accountant
Room 108
Supervisor: Jennifer Mathews

Laura Leachman, Sr. Accountant
Room 105
Supervisor: Jennifer Mathews

Jennifer Mathews, Admin Manager & HR Liaison
Room 106A
Supervisor: Mica Turner

Mica Turner, Director of Finance & Administration
Room 106C
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer


Jennifer Mathews, Admin Manager & HR Liaison
Room 106A
Supervisor: Mica Turner

Wendy Paulsen, Office Assistant
Room 104
Supervisor: Jennifer Mathews

Mica Turner, Director of Finance & Administration
Room 106C
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer


Faculty Affairs
Leslie Sitz, Executive Assistant to the Dean
Room 106B
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer

Mica Turner, Director of Finance & Administration
Room 106C
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer


Information Technology
Brian Perkins, IT Director
Room 27
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer

Tyler Ingram, IT Professional
Room 28
Supervisor: Brian Perkins


Public Relations & Development/Fundraising
Beth Gavrilles, PR & Communications Coordinator
Room 23
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer

Allison Walters, Development & Alumni Coordinator
Room 17
Supervisor: Dean Sonia Altizer

Please look for your management unit to determine who your expense manager is. This person will be your first point of contact for all things financial: expenses, policy, procedure, payroll, deadlines, budgets…anything finance-related please reach out to your Sr. Accountant.

Laura Leachman,   Amberly Tankersley,
26000ALT 26000DRL 26000UNI   26000APC 26000OSE 26000STR
26000AND 26000EID 26000WEN   26000ARF 26000PAR 26000WAR
26000BAL 26000FAR 26000WUR   26000DDF 26000POR 26100CRS
26000BAR 26000FIT 26100ACL   26000EIR 26000PRI 26100EPS
26000BRE 26000GIT 26100PNT   26000FRE 26000PRT 26100FSH
26000BYE 26000GRA 26100RBC   26000FSU 26000RES 26100KEY
26000CAP 26000IDC 26100SAL   26000HAL 26000ROH 26100MAM
26000CON 26000KIN 26100TMA   26000HOL 26000ROS 26100OUT
26000DAV 26000REU 26100WKP   26000IDA 26000SAS 26100VIN
26000DEV 26000STF 26200CLF   26000INJ 26000SCD  
26000DRA 26000TCH     26000MOH 26000STE  
and Student AWARDS (Ecology-funded)   and Student ACTIVITY Fees

Ecology’s FY22 Spending Deadlines can be found here.

Front Office

The front office is managed by Joanne Greenway and Leslie Sitz.

The EBO is officially open from 8am – 5pm. If you experience a building or other emergency need outside these hours please call UGA Police at 706-542-2200. Be prepared to give them your name, location and phone number.

The front office maintains basic pointers and slide advancement pointers for instructors. Please contact Joanne in the front office if you need to check out a pointer.

The Odum School has custodial staff to help with normal upkeep of facilities, including but not limited to restroom cleaning, regular trash disposal, recycling disposal, and routine outside maintenance. Research labs and associated personnel should manage proper research disposals.

If you notice a stained ceiling tile, bathroom leak, ants/other pests/rodents outside their normal habitat, etc. please email Joanne with your findings. She will determine if a work order should be submitted for Facilities Management help. All routine building maintenance requests for the Ecology building and the Ecology Annex should be routed through the front office.

For routine building maintenance in the CEID/IDEAS building, please contact Madison Wilson.
For routine building maintenance in the RBC building, please contact Wendy Paulsen.

A dumpster is located outside the Ecology building near the loading dock. This is set up for official UGA custodial use and official research lab use, with appropriate disposal bags, only. No one should be using this dumpster for personal trash disposal. No one should place old UGA furniture in the dumpster. Please see surplus instructions below for the correct process on unwanted UGA equipment, furniture or IT items.

There is a secure copy machine set up in the mail room of the Ecology building for official Ecology business use. Please contact Tyler for an access code or Joanne for instructions on how to use the copier.

Please consult with Leslie Sitz as far in advance as possible to discuss event details and to complete an event request form.

Ecology Building
Access is maintained by the front office assistant. A completed Key Request Form and a $10 deposit per key is required, unless otherwise noted. Exact cash or a check made payable to The University of Georgia is acceptable. A receipt will be provided to you upon payment. You are required to print the request form because it requires signatures and, likely, payment. For registered graduate students, this form must be signed by a Major Professor. If you are an undergraduate student you must be on OSE payroll.

Upon return of keys you are eligible for a refund by submitting the Key Refund Request Form. If you are still an employee with UGA at the time of reimbursement your refund will be direct deposited into the account you have on file for payroll. If you are not an employee or are submitting your request less than 10 business days before your last working day you will issued a refund check.

BioSci Building
Please contact Deanna Whiddon if you need after hour access to this building. Be prepared to give her your “810” number as it is required for her to set up your access.

If you are working in a lab at the Annex your Major Professor should provide you with a code for entry or you may submit a key request form to the front office following the same procedure outlined for the Ecology Building.

Horseshoe Bend
Please consult with Dr. Jeb Byers.

Odum Cabin
Please consult with Dr. Andrew Davis.

Other locations
Please email the front office to inquire.

Campus Mail is typically distributed by noon each business day in appropriate mailboxes. If you have official outgoing mail that needs to be delivered via USPS please contact Joanne in the front office.

The front office is inundated with official UGA packages daily. As official packages come in, our front office will prepare the required paperwork and email you when it is ready for pick up. All package pick ups will require your printed name and signature.

We kindly ask that personal packages be addressed so they are delivered to your office or lab and accepted for signature there and not the front office.

Although a purchase order is UGA’s recommended method for acquiring goods, we understand there will be occasions you must order official items and have them delivered to the building. In this case, we ask that you address these packages so they are delivered to your office or lab and accepted for signature there and not the front office.
Express Shipping
Joanne can help with FedEx express ENVELOPE shipping, if needed. Once you have prepared your envelope for shipment please fill out this form and take your identifiable package to Joanne in the front office for further processing.

Shipping Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Materials, including dry ice shipping

Material Return
Do you need to return something because it’s the wrong item, for repair, for replacement, or other? Please visit this link and choose “Material Return Slip and Shipping Permit” to process this request. Be prepared with the following information.

1) Obtain Vendor Approval and a Return Authorization Number.
2) If the item will be returned to an international destination, please obtain packaging requirement from the vendor.
3) If the vendor shipped the item in error, ask them to cover the return shipping costs.
4) If the item being shipped is an inventoried asset, include the UGA inventory number in your request.
5) If a purchase order is being issued by Procurement for the return, repair or replacement for this item, please reference the purchase order number in your request.
6) It is strongly recommended that you insure all items for the full replacement value. If the shipment is not insured and is lost or damaged in transit, there are no other replacement or repair costs available.
7) Notify your Sr. Accountant.

The Tate Student Center (TSC) offers Notary Services free of charge to faculty, staff, and students when related to official UGA Business.

TSC has reduced contact and may not offer these services every day. In that case you may seek notary services from the UPS Store or other vendor.

Office supplies are located in the front office. Please email Joanne to make a request so it is ready when you come by, or, feel free to stop by and make a request in person.

There are 3 Departmental Passes (DP) available for limited use. These passes will allow a current permit holder to park elsewhere on campus while tending to official UGA business during normal business hours, Monday – Friday, 8am – 4:30pm. Priority is given to Ecology Administration. Passes must be returned to the front office each day by 4:30pm and should never be kept overnight. Please contact Joanne in the front office if you need to check out a DP pass.

We also provide validation paper passes or deck codes for our Odum visitors or employees that have official business elsewhere on campus.

  • A paper pass should be submitted with the deck ticket to the deck attendant in order to avoid parking charges. Each paper pass is good for one use.
  • Some decks will NOT accept a paper pass. A deck code is required in this case. You will need this code to enter at the unmanned kiosk inside the deck to avoid a ticket and charges.
  • Please contact Joanne in the front office if you or your guest needs a validation paper pass or deck code.

Poster Printing
Contact Tyler Ingram to discuss the process for poster printing requests.

Print/Copy Requests
Do you need help with a large print/copy request? Please click here.

Front office personnel will work with custodial staff to maintain these areas. However, if you notice any container that is full please feel free to notify us, indicating what needs attention. The main recycle area is located just down from the Conference Room (room 12) and the Park Lab (room 126).

Paper: Recycle bins are labeled and located throughout the building. These are typically paired with the landfill containers and labeled for easy determination.

Batteries:  These are collected in a “Universal Waste” container located in the main recycle area. Only UGA used batteries should be discarded here.

Styrofoam (#6 polystyrene): Please keep an eye out for a large white trash bin in the main recycling area. Clean and dry polystyrene foam blocks, coolers, or packing peanuts are accepted. Tape, labels and any contents (including any trace of food residue) must be removed. WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT.

Ink cartridges:  The first and best option is to follow manufacturer’s instructions, using the packaging and mail return label that came with your cartridge. Otherwise, you can repackage the cartridge and send it via Campus Mail where it will be recycled. You should label the package with “OMM” if sending through Campus Mail.

Unwanted furniture, equipment, electronics (surplus):  UGA departments and department personnel are not to dispose of any non-consumable UGA property, even if broken and/or unusable. Further information on surplus can be found here. If you are unable to recycle use within Ecology please fill out this form and send to Tyler. There is a cost associated with having items picked up for UGA Surplus disposal. Project funds are not allowed to cover disposal costs.


You can find information here.

Ecology Building – email Ms. Joanne Greenway
RBC Conference Room – email Ms. Wendy Paulsen
CEID Conference Room – email Ms. Madison Wilson

Trouble with your phone or need to request changes? Please contact Brian Perkins.


Drivers must have passed a DVM background check before operating any UGA or Ecology vehicle.


1. Insurance & Claims Management (ICM) will be responsible for the development and tracking of initial and ongoing training, with the concerted help of the unit.
2. All Drivers who drive on University business regardless of frequency and location of driving shall be subject to annual training, among other things.

Driver Qualifications
Drivers must have a valid license in their possession while operating any vehicle on University business.

The Driver Acknowledgement Form must be completed annually by each Driver. Each Driver must initial next to each safety standard on the form to be deemed eligible to drive.

The Driver Acknowledgement Form and MVR history check will be completed annually by each Primary Driver who’s job requires them to routinely drive a State of Georgia Vehicle as a primary function of their job. The University of Georgia Police Department will be responsible for running the MVR history check.

Driver Disqualifications
A Driver who has had one of the following occurrences during the 24-month period preceding their use or request for use of a State of Georgia Vehicle, or a vehicle used for University business will be considered a “Disqualified Driver”:

1. Accumulating 10 or more points on his or her driving record,
2. Having an “at fault” motor vehicle accident within the six (6) months preceding an assignment to drive on University business, or
3. Having been convicted of one of the following offenses preceding an assignment to drive on University business:

•Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
•Driving Under the Influence Less Safe
•Leaving the scene of an accident

Drivers subject to completion of the Driver Acknowledgement Form are required to disclose to the Director if any of the above apply. A Disqualified Driver may not drive on University business until: (a) his or her Motor Vehicle Record has been reviewed by Insurance & Claims Management and (b) the Disqualified Driver has satisfied the corrective, preventative and/or educational measures specified by UGA. A Driver with a driver’s license that is restricted, expired, suspended, or revoked is not permitted to drive on University business until the license is fully reinstated. Drivers who drive on University business are to disclose any license restriction, expiration, suspension, or revocation upon notification.

Drivers who fail to complete the annual training or sign the Driver Acknowledgement Form will be automatically considered a Disqualified Driver.

Drivers charged with the following offenses are not permitted to drive on University business until disposition of the charges and review by Legal Affairs, ICM and department:

1. Driving Under the Influence
2. Driving Under the Influence Less Safe
3. Leaving the scene of an accident
4. Aggressive Driving (only if a conviction would result in 10 or more points accumulated on his or her driving record)
5. Exceeding speed limit by more than 19 mph (only if a conviction would result in 10 or more points accumulated on driving record)

Drivers who drive on University business are to disclose receipt of the above charges by submitting the Driver Notification Form to department head/director no later than the workday following the charges. Department head/director will forward a copy of the Driver Notification Form to Insurance & Claims Management. In addition, the Driver must comply with the reporting requirements of the UGA Policy on Arrests and Convictions.

Drivers who meet all Driver Qualifications and are not otherwise Disqualified Drivers following disposition of the charges and review by Legal Affairs, ICM and the department, are permitted to resume driving on University business.

If a Driver does not meet all Driver Qualifications following disposition of the charges, the employee will not be permitted to drive on University business until the circumstances leading to such citations have been reviewed by the Insurance & Claims Management and the Disqualified Driver has satisfied the corrective, preventative and/or educational measures specified by UGA and required under this Policy. The determination of the measures to be required will be made by Insurance & Claims Management, in consultation with the Driver’s departmental manager, based on the specific citation and circumstances. Information for these items can be retained through DOA

Liability Insurance
The State of Georgia provides a Georgia Liability Insurance Identification Card, annually.
You may print a copy of this card if driving is a requirement of your job. This card is not to be used for the registration of a privately-owned vehicle. Any person using this card for such a purpose may be subject to criminal prosecution.

The insured are State of Georgia Government or State employees while operating a vehicle within the scope and course of employment. This card explains what you should do if you are in an accident. Accidents must be reported within 48 hours.

Each UGA vehicle comes with a WEX gas card. These cards are assigned to a specific vehicle, not a person. The vehicle number is located at the bottom of each card. The card may ONLY be used to obtain gas for the associated vehicle.
New vehicle operators must contact Felicia Hubbard at 706-542-7525 to be granted authorization to use the WEX gas card.

Ecology Fleet
Ecology currently has a fleet consisting of five 15-passenger vans. Instructional use is given first priority and use is managed by Kait Farrell and Joanne Greenway. If you need to request a reservation you may email for further information. Vehicles should not be kept overnight unless associated with an approved course and with prior approval. Keys can be picked up during office hours, Monday – Friday, 8am – 4:30pm.

Only students, faculty, and staff that have completed and signed a driver acknowledgement form are permitted to operate an Ecology vehicle. 

Vehicle operators are responsible for complying with and completing a vehicle maintenance checklist and rental information form (to be filled out and turned in when keys are returned).


Reimbursements of any type should be submitted within 30 days of travel ending otherwise you may face tax implications.

Please consult with your Sr. Accountant if you have questions or concerns under any circumstance. We encourage you not to spend out of pocket before prior approval is received.

Ecology operates under the direction of the State Accounting Office and the Office of Planning and Budget via travel regulations the University of Georgia has adopted.

  • UGA does not allow for travel advances.

  • Approved lodging and per diem rates can be found here.

  • There are options to direct bill your airfare (typically costs more). Reach out to your Sr. Accountant for more information, if needed.

  • There are options to request early reimbursement of paid airfare and/or registration. Reach out to your Sr. Accountant for more information, if needed.

  • Travelers are expected to be good stewards of funds: travel is for official UGA business, account allows for such travel, will choose most cost-effective method, there are sufficient funds for reimbursement, has approval from the account holder before traveling, does not exceed allowable limits and adheres to all UGA policies and procedures.

  • Failure to submit a Travel Authority (TA) prior to any travel could mean you will not be covered by the University’s Worker’s Comp Insurance and/or you forfeit claims for reimbursement.

  • International travel requires approval from the UGA-Office of Global Engagement and you are required to register your itineraries at for risk management and export control purposes.

  • Legible, paid receipts are required for all expenses except meals. Missing receipts will require an explanation of the expense on your reimbursement request.

  • Employee is accepting risk of a non-reimbursable cancellation fee if making arrangements with a vendor and a “non-refundable” policy.

  • We recommend reimbursement requests be submitted within 30 days of the travel return date to allow for any corrections and processing time. Expenses submitted more than 60 calendar days after completion of the trip are considered taxable income per the Internal Revenue Service. There is a separate reimbursement process for this and is handled via payroll. Receipts are still required and will be maintained in the EBO.

  • Destination

  • Accounting Tag/Speed Type

  • What fiscal year will this travel occur? Fiscal years at UGA run July 1, #### – June 30, ####. Be sure to also consider any spending deadlines.

  • Departure Date and Return Date

  • Blanket Travel? Allowable for frequent in-state travel to same field site (i.e., feeding fish in Coweeta); dates may not exceed the current fiscal year.

  • Sharing a room? Traveler paying for the lodging should seek reimbursement via group travel. Please reach out to your Sr. Accountant before making a final decision.

  • What expenses do you anticipate you will incur?

    • Lodging (click on the appropriate link under Meal Per Diems to also see corresponding Lodging Per Diems)

      • Online booking services such as Airbnb, VRBO, Home Away and the like are prohibited for non-international travel.

      • Lodging in Georgia?

        • Traveler must be able to provide proper identification to document their employment as a state or local government employee to be exempt from paying the county or municipal excise tax.

        • Traveler should make every effort to avoid payment of sales tax.

    • Per diem (meals) There are set limits depending on your travel destination. There are limits on departure and return dates. For instance, travelers are eligible for only 75% of the total day’s per diem rate on the first and last day of travel for out-of-state only. For overnight travel w/in GA you are allowed 100% per diem on travel days. On the flip side, if it is same-day travel then you will not be able to claim per diem at all.

    • Registration Fee To avoid paying out-of-pocket seek guidance from your Sr. Accountant for other options.

    • Mileage rates are updated periodically here.

    • Miscellaneous For required work-related expenses (e.g., gas for rental car, internet at hotel)

    • Transportation

      • See below for options

        • Airfare

          • If your travel is funded by federal funds, you must use a US flag air carrier for international travel when possible, as outlined in the Fly America Act. If not possible be prepared to provide justification.

          • Coach/economy fare is recommended. Business Class airfare is allowable in rare cases. You should check with your Sr. Accountant first before booking a flight for other than coach/economy fare.

          • If you wish to direct bill your airfare, it must be with a UGA approved travel agency. There can not be any conflict of interest between the traveler and agent/agency. NOTE: Prices are typically higher if you choose to direct charge.

        • Taxi, railway, shuttle

        • Car rental  Please seek help from your Sr. Accountant, if needed.

          • Mandatory contracts: must return vehicles with the same amount of gas that it had when it was picked up; reimbursement with paid receipt is allowed under miscellaneous expenses.

            • Hertz – if rental is FROM Hartsfield-Jackson International airport or any out-of-state location

            • Enterprise or Hertz – if rental is in Georgia

          • Options: compact, intermediate or full size. A van may be rented if there are more than 4 travelers.

          • Traveler must decline optional fuel offerings, maintenance and oil changes by the car rental vendor.

          • Employees traveling on State business inside the continental US are covered by the State’s liability policy therefore liability coverage should be declined when renting within the US. Loss Damage and Collision Damage are also covered for vehicles rented under the Statewide Car Rental Vendor Contract. When traveling to destinations outside the Continental U.S. (OCONUS), with the exception of Canada, the State Risk Management Department recommends that travelers accept collision insurance when renting cars.

NOTE: The State liability policy is only in effect while the employee is using the rented vehicle for official State business. For this reason, personal use of the vehicle, including allowing friends or family members to ride in a State rented vehicle, is prohibited.

No-Cost Travel

  • Documentation is required if you are traveling on official UGA business but are not seeking reimbursement.

  • Submit a travel authority (TA) request at least two weeks (or as soon as possible) prior to your departure date.

  • We have developed forms/guides to assist you.

In-State, Georgia Travel

  • You are required to submit a travel authority (TA) request at least two weeks (or as soon as possible) prior to your departure date.

  • We have developed forms/guides to assist you with submitting a travel authority.

  • Upon return from travel, and within a recommended 30 days, you should submit a request for travel reimbursement. We have developed forms/guides to assist you.

Out-of-State, Domestic United States OR International Travel

  • You are required to submit a travel authority (TA) request at least four weeks (or as soon as possible) prior to your departure date. If you do not receive prior approval before your departure date you will be traveling at your own risk. You may still submit a request for reimbursement but your request will require a justification as to why you did not have prior approval to travel. It will be at this time Central UGA will review your request to determine approval for reimbursement.

  • We have developed forms/guides to assist you with submitting a travel authority.

  • Upon return from travel, and within a recommended 30 days, you should submit a request for travel reimbursement. We have developed forms/guides to assist you.

Purchasing, Payment Requests, Non-Travel Reimbursements

The first attempt to acquire goods and/or services should be via purchase request.

  • Payment requests are limited to $2,500 and under. UGA requires that anything over this amount be processed as a purchase request.

  • Non-travel reimbursements are limited to $500 or less in Ecology. However, we will consider reimbursement up to $2,499 on a case-by-case basis. Anything over $500 will require prior written approval from Ecology’s AFD.

  • Reimbursements of any type should be submitted within 30 days of incurring expense, else there may be tax implications.

  • All acquisitions using state dollars remain property of UGA.

  • All acquisitions using federal or other restricted dollars remain property of the appropriate agency or UGA. Terms and conditions associated with the project will determine this.

  • All agreements that require a signature will require University level review before returning the agreement to the vendor. Only individuals from SPA, Procurement or UGA Legal Affairs is eligible to sign on behalf of UGA.

  • Please consult with your Sr. Accountant if you have questions or concerns under any circumstance.


Please reach out to your Sr. Accountant if you need an actual form to provide the vendor.

You can review all University of Georgia policies including but not limited to Administrative Services, Auxiliary Services, Campus Safety, and Security, Facilities, Finance, Human Resources, Purchasing, and Travel here.

A purchase that is contrary to the rules and regulations established by the State Purchasing Division or Board of Regents shall be void and of no effect. Any official of a state entity or institution who willfully purchases or causes to be purchased any materials, supplies, or equipment contrary to the rules and regulations will be personally liable for the cost thereof. If paid for from state funds, the amount may be recovered in the name of the state. (O.C.G.A. Section 50-5-79). Additionally, it is unlawful for UGA to make purchases for the personal use of its employees (Acts of 1939 40-1936 and HB1113).

You can find more information here.

An index of statewide contracts is available on Team Georgia Marketplace. Use tgmguest as both the user name and password.

Use the search functionality to search for the category of products, etc. Search results will show if the contract is mandatory or convenient. The Procurement Office may pursue a waiver from State Purchasing on your behalf. Please reach out to if you wish to pursue a waiver making sure to copy your Sr. Accountant.

The Ecology Business Office follows all State Accounting Office, State Department of Administrative Services, State Purchasing Division, Board of Regents, and University guidelines on when a purchase order is expected in the procurement of goods and services. If goods or services are on a mandatory statewide contract, the purchase must be from a supplier on the statewide contract and for goods/services offered under the contract. Convenience purchasing contracts offer a bit more flexibility.

Funds used must allow for the procurement/payment of goods and/or services acquired. If you have any questions about your fund type please reach out to your Sr. Accountant.

Note, all sponsored projects must have the anticipated expense identified in the approved budget.

Any purchase of $25,000 or more requires competitive bidding or justification for the lack of competition.

You can find more information here.

Employees are forbidden by law from acting for themselves, on behalf of any third party, or on behalf of any business in which the employee or a spouse or dependent of the employee has a substantial interest. It is also unlawful for a business in which an employee or spouse or dependent of the employee has a substantial interest to transact business with the University. Substantial interest is defined as direct or indirect ownership of more than 25% of the stock or assets of the business.

You can find more information here.

UGA defines a person or company who gives specialized or expert advice a consultant.

Ecology HIGHLY recommends processing consulting services as a purchase order so as to “protect” the funds via encumbrance.

Consulting agreements should only be entered into once it has been determined that the consultant should not be considered an employee of the University. Consulting services may be requested by submitting a purchase request.

~ Departments should complete the Independent Contractor Determination Checklist prior to entering into a consulting agreement with a consultant.

~ Once deemed a consultant is the best course of action a consulting agreement should be filled out. Departments should be aware that if the consultant is paid for the advice rendered, the consultant will not be permitted to bid on any work resulting directly from the consulting services. Advice rendered without payment does not prohibit the consultant from participating in resulting bid opportunities.

~ It is your responsibility to ensure that the daily rate paid is reasonable and, if funded by a sponsoring Federal agency – either directly or as flow-through from another sponsor – that it does not exceed the maximum approved rate of that Federal agency.

~  If the agreement is more than $10,000 three quotes or an explanation as to why pricing from three sources was not possible is a required attachment, along with the completed consulting agreement. Further tasks are required if $25,000 or more.

You can find more information here.

Please seek advice from your Sr. Accountant before entering into any commitment.

You can find more information here.

Effective November 30, 2020 chemicals must be purchased via UGAmart. You can submit your request using this form.

You can find more information here.

It is advisable that you obtain approval from the account holder before incurring expenses for reimbursement.

  • Employee reimbursement should not be used for purchases when a purchase order, or payment request can be used.

  • Purchases become the property of the University of Georgia once an employee is reimbursed.

  • Ecology’s personal reimbursement limits are $199.99/item not to exceed a total of $599.97 for a single reimbursement transaction.

  • Reimbursements should be submitted within 30 days of incurring an expense otherwise there may be tax implications.

  • Original, itemized, paid receipts are required for reimbursement.

  • Ecology has created forms to help you with processing a non-travel reimbursement request.

  • Chemicals – ALL chemicals must be purchased through UGAmart. Chemicals are not considered a reimbursable expense.

You can find more information here.

Funds obligated for purchase will remain encumbered in the accounting system until a payment is processed for the purchase or until Procurement reduces the encumbrance. At the fiscal year-end (June 30th) encumbrances on state-funded accounts are converted to liability in the accounting system.

You can find more information here.

The authority to sign contracts for the purchase or lease of goods and services for the operations of an institution has been delegated to the University Procurement Office. Ecology personnel should not enter into any contract, verbal or otherwise, without consulting directly with Procurement and following proper guidelines.

You can find more information here.

There are very few funds that will allow for entertainment expenses. Entertainment budgets that require Ecology fund support must be pre-approved by the Dean.

A common example in Ecology is entertainment vs. group meals. Please reach out to your Sr. Accountant for clarification, as needed since documentation for each request is different.

You can find more information here.

You can find information here.

​The end-user or Procurement may make informal pricing requests for purchases less than the competitive bid threshold ($25,000 for State Purchasing Division and $50,000 for Board of Regents). Procurement professionals will identify the best solicitation method for each purchase request.

You can find more information here.

This mechanism of payment should only be used when the purchase order mechanism for goods and services is not available. This means the first attempt for acquiring a good or service should be via purchase order.

   Unallowable payment requests

  • hazardous materials

  • trackable chemicals (ALL chemicals must be purchased via UGAmart)

  • firearms

  • vehicles

The Ecology Business Office will be happy to process payment requests on your behalf. An official company invoice is required, information supporting the business need/purpose of the purchase in the payment request, and the speed type. If you are not the account holder the Business Office will need an email indicating approval to use funds to support the payment. You may submit your paperwork to your Senior Accountant.

You can find more information here.

Accounts Payable must have completed a two-way match or a three-way match of purchase documentation to process payments.

You can find more information here.

Please consult with your Senior Accountant prior to setting up a payment.

You can find more information here.

Ecology does not engage in the use of petty cash except, rarely, for field study or study away courses. The AFD reserves the right to approves based on financial liability.

You can find more information here.

Payment is allowed when the institution requires the license, certification, or training as a condition of employment. Requirements must be met.

You can find more information here.

Aside from project proposals, do not sign any contract on behalf of the University in any capacity without first checking with your Sr. Accountant.

You can find more information here.

Purchase orders are legally binding contracts between the University and the vendor. There may limitations on what changes can be made. Please consult with your Senior Accountant if you desire to make any updates to your purchase order.

You can find more information here.

You can find information here.

You can find information here.

The University of Georgia’s web-based purchasing system, UGAmart, is utilized to establish all purchase requests. This should be the first option for acquiring goods and/or services.

  • All UGA employees have shopper capabilities within UGAmart.

  • Shoppers must have written spending authority on file with the Ecology Business Office prior to using an account. Otherwise, your request will be delayed until we have approval from the account holder.

  • Visit Team Georgia Marketplace to verify if the item is on a mandatory state contract. Items on mandatory state contract require UGA end users to purchase from the approved vendors only (i.e., office chairs, furniture, metal filing cabinets, certain research supplies, etc.). Feel free to also check with your Sr. Accountant, if needed.

  • Ecology has created a user guide to help you with processing a purchase order.

  • Tax should not be included on purchase orders.

  • Purchase requests will not be processed on an account that does not have sufficient funds available.

  • Chemicals – ALL chemicals must be purchased via UGAmart.

  • Need a status update on your purchase order? Please email your Sr. Accountant.

You can find information here.

P-Cards are limited to unit use only for the purpose of reduced liability. P-Cards should be the last option for making purchases and the cardholder reserves the right to determine the use of a P-Card. Ecology does not currently have a P-Card available for use.

You can find information here.

The University of Georgia has four methods of making purchases:

     1) purchase requests: This should be the first method used to acquire goods or services at UGA.

     2) payment requests

     3) purchasing cards (p-cards): Ecology does not currently have a P-Card available.

     4) petty cash: Except for rare study away needs, Ecology does not retain a petty cash account.

You can find information here.

End users are responsible for examining incoming deliveries to ensure the goods received match the request for goods ordered in relation to quantity and type and that the shipment is free of damage. If there are issues with your order after delivery please reach out to your Sr. Accountant.

You can find more information here.

You can find information here.

You can find information here.

You can find information here.

You can find information here.

Before deciding that only one specific brand of goods will meet the University’s critical business requirements, research must be conducted by the end-user to determine if other brands exist which can also satisfy procurement requirements in a timely manner.

                Associated Form: Sole Source/Sole Brand Justification

You can find more information here.

This authority is vested in the Procurement Office and administered under the rules and regulations as set forth in the Georgia Procurement Manual.

You can find more information here.

(i.e., Paperpile, LinkedIn, Remember the Milk, Slack, Overleaf, Wix, Gather.Town) must be included as a pre-approved line item in your restricted budget if using project funds. Otherwise, a MOD will need to be processed to obtain UGA-SPA approval for payment or reimbursement. Further, UGA Procurement prohibits subscriptions unless the subscription is in the name of the University and approved by a separate memo from the Dean. See Procedures B.13 at the link above.

NOTE:  Per UGA’s Associate Director of Central Accounting, Darlene McConnell (06.30.21), units need to start including a copy of the user agreement for software/subscription services to support whether there is a license component to the subscription service that is being used over the internet/web/cloud etc.

Software: 733100

Subscriptions: 727120

EXAMPLE: Gather.Town’s user agreement indicates their contract is for license to software and services. Therefore it should be coded as 733100.

You can find more information here.

It is recommended you submit requests for reimbursement within 30 days of incurring the expense to avoid tax penalties.

You can find more information here.

The University of Georgia is mandated by the Executive Order of the Governor of the State of Georgia to pay invoices within 30 days.

You can find more information here.

You can find more information here.

Includes consulting services. Please see advice from your Senior Accountant before entering into any agreement.

                Associated Form: Consulting Agreement

You can find more information here.

Unrestrictive competitive specifications allow for full and open competition between vendors as the specifications do not restrict the items being purchased to a specific brand or source, rather they identify the users’ minimum needs.

You can find more information here.

Please consult with your Senior Accountant regarding any new vendors.

You can find more information here.

You can find information here.

You can find information here.


Visit UGA’s Office of Research to “start your research program.”

See below for further, basic information.

UGA’s Sponsored Projects Administration serves the UGA research community by providing expert guidance, exceptional service, and reduced administrative burden throughout the sponsored project lifecycle and allowing our investigators to foster positive change in the world.

There are several avenues in which funding can be obtained and it is highly recommended you reach out to Ecology’s main SPA representative, currently Jenna Jones, before entering in to any agreement with an agency, foundation, corporation, individual or other.


Your SPA representative can help guide you in the development and submission of your proposal. SPA has new OneSource friendly budget templates that incorporate account codes into the budget development process.

Click here for more information.

  • Ecology Department ID (Academic Credit): 26000000
  • Ecology IDC Unit: 26000ADM
  • Your Management Unit/Department:  26000XXX (Please email Ecology’s AFD if you are unsure what your management unit is.)


Cost share, Public Service faculty? Use fund type 10000, program 12110 and your management unit.

Cost share, Non-Public Service faculty? Use fund type 10500, program 12110 and your management unit.

After you are funded an award/grant/project/contract there will be times SPA requires documentation of certain changes. Your agency may not mind if you rebudget or make changes (via MOD) for certain requests but SPA does. SPA will then let you know if agency approval is required.

  • Salaries and Fringe

    • If you specifically name an individual in your budget then you must use your funds for that person only. You may be required to submit a MOD to update named personnel if you are not paying the original candidate. Ecology recommends inserting an individual’s title, rather than name, to avoid delays in the future.

    • Employees may not be paid more than 100% for all on-campus work, regardless of funding.

    • If you indicate a time period in your project for key personnel summer pay (time effort) that employee MUST take that pay during the awarded time frame. For instance, if your project runs July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 with 3 months summer pay you may take one month in July 1999 and the other two months in May and June 2000. Further, if you indicate you plan to take one month summer pay in May only then you must do so or you will need to update your information with SPA to avoid an internal audit discrepancy.

    • If you budget payroll for key personnel (summer or otherwise) you are required to meet that commitment. Otherwise, you must request a rebudget through SPA via a MOD.

    • All employees, whether paid from a grant or state account are considered UGA employees and are subject to UGA-HR guidelines, policies and procedures. Sick and vacation pay and holiday pay are to be met by the grant. However, you may require grant funded employees to take regular leave days. Some exceptions apply.

      • Upon termination/resignation of classified employees your project’s budget will be responsible for covering up to 360 hours of annual leave pay out. Students and postdocs do not qualify for leave pay out unless they are transferred to a regular benefits-eligible position.

    • Fringe is estimated at the time of proposal development but your project will be responsible for actual fringe costs unless you have an agreement set up with the agency prior to submission of your proposal. Fringe costs can vary from month to month and premiums tend to increase annually beginning in January. The EBO will not provide an updated benefits encumbrance until the second payroll payment is made as there are notoriously changes made within the first month.

  • Materials and Supplies

    • Do you have a vehicle? Confirm with your sponsor whether maintenance costs, fuel, insurance premiums (typically no more than $200/vehicle; depends on the value of the vehicle), and insurance liability ($200/vehicle) is covered. This MUST be included as a line item in the approved budget if needed.

CASB Exceptions (Cost Accounting Standards Board)

  • The Office of Management and Budget Circular A-21 – “Cost Principles for Educational Institutions,” establishes principles for determining costs applicable to Federal grants, contracts, and other sponsored agreements with educational institutions (last revised May 2004).

  • You may submit portions of your budget for CASB exception review of which would normally be charged against F&A costs.

    • Administrative Salaries

      •  Administrative/Clerical charges will be permitted only when the following circumstances can be clearly demonstrated: Administrative and clerical salaries must be specifically identified with the project and support a major project or activity that requires an extensive amount of administrative and clerical support, which is significantly greater than the routine level of such services provided by academic units

        • Examples include:

          • Large complex programs such as research centers, program projects, resource grants, etc., that entail assembling and managing teams of investigators from many institutions.

          • Projects that involve extensive data accumulation and entry, surveying, tabulation, cataloging, and reporting.

          • Projects that require making substantial travel and meeting arrangements for large numbers of program participants.

          • Projects that are geographically inaccessible to normal departmental administrative services.

          • In summary, administrative/clerical costs may be allowable as direct costs if appropriately justified and if the charges meet all the following criteria: costs are required by the project’s scope of work; costs can be specifically and easily identified to the project, and costs represent a special need that is clearly different from costs typically charged as F&A. The proposal justification should provide a clear explanation as to how the proposed charges meet these conditions.

    • Other examples of CASB that may be up for review:

      • Office Supplies

      • Memberships

      • Postage/Shipping/Freight – only required for shipment of reports, “ideas”, surveys, correspondence; not required for shipping products (L.Beard 06.30.21)

      • Books

      • Computers/Laptops

      • Telecommunications

Click here for some examples of CASB justifications. If needed, please consult with Ecology’s AFD or your SPA rep to see if your proposal qualifies for this option/review.

  • Travel

    • Consider whether you, your students or others associated with the project need to present research at conferences. Is the conference domestic or international? All international travel must be pre-approved else they will require a MOD and delay later on.

    • Employees, if allowed, will be paid from the travel category and their budget estimate should be entered in the correct category. Non-employee travel should be budgeted separately.

    • Travel is allowed if it is furthering work on the project and approved in the budget.

    • You should clearly identify if funds are for domestic travel or for international travel.

      • If you are unsure where a conference will be held you can include the possibility of it being an international conference. This should help avoid delays in the future if the conference is, in fact, international.

  • Equipment

    • This includes items with a useful life of more than 3 years, associated cost of $5,000 or more (including sum parts of individual components) and that is for work on the project.

    • Items must be specifically identified in the proposal and should not be purchased at the end of a project. Otherwise, how did the equipment benefit the project?

    • Equipment is normally, but not always, excluded from IDC calculations.

    • If you do not include equipment in your original proposal but you see you may need the equipment later it will require approval from your sponsor and SPA before an order can be placed.

    • Consider whether you need a computer/laptop, either new or replacement. This must be an approved line item in the budget else it will require you to submit a MOD later on.

  • Animals

    • Do you have proper permits in place?

    • Will there be housing costs?

    • Will you need special vet services for this particular project?

    • Will you need a separate caretaker for the animals?

    • Consider if you need a per diem for their care.

  • Subrecipient or Subcontractor vs. Consultant

    • A consultant or vendor does not make programmatic decisions, tends to have a billing rate, and is not identifiable in the salary/fringe budget.

    • Both budgets are considered materials and supplies.

      • Subrecipient or Subcontractor – A third-party organization performing a portion of the scope of work identified on the project where UGA is the prime.

      • Consultant – A third party that provides highly technical or professional advice but does not control the manner in which the work is performed.

    • Be sure to consult with your SPA rep to determine which is appropriate.

  • Research (Tuition) Incentive Assistantships (RIAS)

  • Indirect Costs (IDC)

    • Also known as Facilities and Administrative Costs (F&A)

    • Costs are typically not identifiable, cannot be quantified or be directly linked to the project.

    • There are various IDC rates. Please consult with your SPA rep to determine which rate to use.

    • A portion of IDC is returned to the College/School. The return is based on expenditures made in the previous fiscal year. Policies governing the use and disbursement of IDC are determined by the College/School and varies across the UGA campus. You can find Ecology’s IDC policy here.

  • Effort – You should only consider research or public service time and budget only.

    • This is the amount of time PI(s), faculty and other senior personnel spend on a particular activity. Most proposals must show the percentage of effort committed on a project.

    • Percentage of effort should be commensurate with the percentage of salary requested.

      • If no salary is requested, but effort will be provided please specifically include this in the budget justification.

    • You may not have more than 100% effort and you should consider effort on other projects, as well. Please consult with Jennifer Mathews to verify the amount of effort you have already committed on previous projects as this affects payroll.

  • Research Buyout/Salary Savings

    • Research or instructional granting and contracting agencies, as well as other units of the University, sometimes seek to have faculty devote a portion of their time to a particular funded project. Where the research or instructional work is demonstrably significant and beneficial to the University, the Odum School may foster and approve such arrangements, provided that certain conditions are met.

    • Faculty may buy out their Research EFT using funds from grants or contracts. Grant or contract funds will pay the corresponding part of their salary and associated fringe. Visit here to see Ecology’s research buyout policy.

    • Buy-outs are not automatic – You must seek approval for research buyout BEFORE submitting your proposal.

  • Salary Cap (NIH) – also known as Over the Cap (OTC)

    • A companion account is set up that is yoked to the restricted account.

    • OTC salary has to be moved to the companion account and is processed by the Ecology Business Office.

    • Please consult with Jennifer Mathews to be sure you are not over-committed as this affects payroll.

  • Cost Share

    • Mandatory vs. Voluntary – must be clearly identified in the budget justification if cost share is mandatory or voluntary

      • Mandatory – This should be included in the proposal budget in order to be considered for funding by the sponsor as it is a requirement as a condition of the award.

      • Voluntary – This is NOT required by the sponsor and SPA strongly discourages voluntary cost share. However, once you offer cost share it becomes a binding commitment and must be honored if the project is funded. SPA and Ecology do not recommend volunteering cost share as it creates a hardship and could affect your payroll and time effort related to academic or summer salary. SPA has indicated it does not increase the likelihood of a successful award yet creates additional work for the unit.

    • You may not over-commit cost share. Please consult with Jennifer Mathews to verify the amount of cost share you have already committed on a project.

    • Types of cost share:

      • Cash Match (salary) – Cash contributions made to a project by UGA, UGARF, or a third party.

      • In-Kind Match – The reasonable value of personnel effort, equipment, materials or other property used in the performance of a statement of work.

      • Third-Party Match – Any expenditure necessary to complete a project that is borne, not by the sponsoring agency or the prime award recipient, but by a third party.

    • Tracking cost share:

      • A companion account is set up that is yoked to the restricted account.

      • Anything cost shared (in-kind or cash) has to be moved to the companion account; processed by the Ecology Business Office.

      • ALL cost share obligations MUST be met. If you see you will not be able to meet the cost share requirement please obtain approval from your sponsor and SPA to update the cost share amounts 6 months advance of it being due.

  • Budget Justification

    • This is a narrative that provides details of your proposed budget. Imagine you are explaining to multiple persons with various skill levels how you plan to spend your funds.

      • Explains how dollar amounts were determined

      • Indicates how each item relates to the research plan

      • All items must be justified – do not assume their use is obvious to reviewers

      • Explains who, what, when, where, and why

      • Explain if meals, visa fees, international travel, and/or incentive payments are critical to the project

      • Listing items is not sufficient for a justification, especially for a CASB exception. A detailed explanation must be included for all requested funds.

Mica offers guidance on building your budget, if needed. Be sure to reach out for a review at least 2 weeks before your proposal is due.

You should certainly reach out to Jennifer if your proposal includes required cost share, summer salary, research buy-out or over-the-cap salary on a project. She can help you determine if you will be overcommitted.

Click here for a detailed budget template.

Click here for a simple budget template.

Failure to complete the SFI Disclosure will stop a proposal from being submitted. For questions, please contact Ecology’s SPA representative.



Below are a few best practice tips that can help expedite your award processing time:

1.  Check FP (Grant ID) Record. You should receive an email from a SPA rep with the subject line: Information about your Grant

     Submission. From here you can click on the “FP” link to verify your information is correct.

2.  Confirm that the FP record is fully approved. If not, please reach out to your SPA rep.

3.  Obtain all Compliance Approvals.

4.  Prepare/Update the UGA Budget Template.

         If the award is less than proposed, update the Budget Template or advise where the reduction should occur.

5.  Provide Additional Documents you feel could benefit your SPA rep.



Click here for information.

Click here for information.

Ecology Human Resources (HR) & Payroll

Jennifer Mathews is Ecology’s HR Liaison.

The Work Number handles employment and salary verifications for the University of Georgia. Click here for more information.

$11.50/hour for non-benefits eligible

$9.50/hour for student employees

Click here for more information.

Students are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week for all on-campus jobs.

Click here to submit your request.

Your contact will be Jennifer Mathews.

Click here to submit your request.

Successful candidates for these positions should submit a temporary, part time acknowledgement form to Jennifer Mathews.

Please reach out to the Dean and Leslie Sitz.

Click here for information on the proper way to interview qualified candidates.

Email Mica and Jennifer with your employee’s name and a data access list requested for your employee. They will be in touch with you after receipt of email.

Voluntary Separation – Employee chooses to end position (resignation).

Layoff – Employee has no choice in termination of employment. Supervisor should begin working with Ecology HR Liaison, Jennifer Mathews, at least 6 months before effective date. This is known as a ‘reduction in force’ at UGA.

Termination due to Negative Actions of Employee – If there are performance or conduct issues with an employee the supervisor should reach out to Ecology’s HR Liaison, Jennifer Mathews, as soon as problems begin to arise. This is known as ‘for cause separation’ at UGA.

UGA’s Separation or Transfer Checklists for Faculty, Staff and Students

Please email Jennifer Mathews with your employee’s name, effective date of change and new % time requested for other than Graduate Student. Jennifer will follow up with you.

For graduate student updates you must record your requests in Ecology’s GSD during unlocked period. Upon lock out period, email Jennifer with all pertinent information and to verify the changes you request can be processed.

Please email Jennifer Mathews with your employee’s name, effective date of change and new speed type if other than Graduate Student. Jennifer will follow up with you.

For graduate student updates you must record your requests in Ecology’s GSD during the unlocked period. Upon lock out period, email Jennifer with all pertinent information and to verify the changes you request can actually be processed.

Click here for information on compensation at UGA.

Click here for information on faculty compensation and workload at UGA.

FY22 UGA Salary Increase Guidelines

Please email Jennifer Mathews with your employee’s name, effective date of change and updated information if other than Graduate Student. Jennifer will follow up with you.

For graduate student updates you must record your requests in Ecology’s GSD during the unlocked period. Upon lock out period, email Jennifer to verify the changes you want to make can be completed. Include all pertinent information. This would typically only apply if your graduate student is moving between a PhD to MA position.

Click here for more information.

Click here for more information.

Click here for more information.

Click here for more information.

Click here for more information.

Comp Time

  • Comp Time is earned AFTER an employee reaches 40 hours in one work week.
  • Ecology requires prior approval from the supervisor based on the agreement between the employee and supervisor.
  • Ecology does not allow comp time more than 5 hours per week.
  • This form must be submitted by the supervisor at least one week prior to the date comp time is expected to commence.


Exempt vs. non-Exempt


UGA Faculty & Staff Guide

  • UGA faculty and staff should use OneUSG Connect for several employee processes, including accessing pay stubs, requesting leave, approving time and more. As faculty or staff, you will access most of your information through the OneUSG Connect Employee Self-Service page.

Click here for more information.

What Services can an employee or visitor access with the UGA OneCard? Note, some services require additional payments.

  • Ramsey Center Access

  • Purchase parking permits

  • UGA Library privileges

  • Admission to on-campus Athletic events

  • Use recreational facilities, such as Legion Pool and Lake Herrick

  • UGA Golf Course

  • Employment verification

  • Ride UGA and Athens Transit Buses

  • Treatment at the University Health Center’s Vision, Dental, Pharmacy, Travel, and Massage therapy Clinics

  • Volunteers are individuals who perform services for the University, without expectation of compensation, benefits, or future employment.  Generally, volunteers are not current employees, enrolled students or vendors/consultants. There have been instances where students were able to volunteer but we must discuss this with UGA’s Insurance & Claims Management on a case-by-case basis.
  • The University is self-insured through the Department of Administrative Services Risk Management Services against state tort claims.  This coverage is extended to University Volunteers who are a part of the University Structured Volunteer Program.  The liability coverage is for injuries and/or property damage Volunteers may cause others while acting in the course of their official volunteer duties.  Liability coverage does not apply when Volunteers deviate from the course of their volunteer duties.
  • All Volunteers must establish proof of identity and citizenship or permanent residency.  If the individual is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, he/she must provide documentation of his/her visa status. An individual holding a temporary visa may not serve as a volunteer in a position where others in a similar position receive compensation or perform the same services. An individual with a pending H-1B visa application to work at the University cannot serve as a volunteer. Volunteer status may not be used as a way to avoid or defer compliance with the employment eligibility requirements of federal immigration laws.
  • An individual who is under the age of 18 must have parental consent to serve as a Volunteer.
  • Volunteers may not be used in positions that are normally paid or to replace classified employees who have been a part of a Reduction in Force. 
  • All volunteer work must be directed and supervised by a University employee designated by the unit for which the individual will be working (“Sponsoring Department”).  Volunteers must agree to abide by all applicable University policies and sign the Volunteer Agreement provided below prior to performing volunteer service.  Each Volunteer Agreement must be approved by the head/Dean of the Sponsoring Department. The Sponsoring Department is responsible for promptly submitting the signed Volunteer Agreement to the University’s Department of Safety and Risk Management. 
  • Volunteers who work with minors must satisfactorily complete a background check prior to performing any duties for the University.  Sponsoring Departments, in consultation with the Office of Legal Affairs, may require background checks when warranted by the nature of the duties to be performed. 
  • University Volunteers do not have an employment relationship with the University on any grounds or for any reason.  Volunteers are not eligible for University benefits, including but not limited to workers’ compensation, and the University does not provide Volunteers with accident or medical insurance.


EXAMPLE: “I have a student who wants to do research for credit next term and wants to do some volunteering with us beforehand so they can become acquainted with the lab and potential research project.” Per UGA Insurance & Claims Management, this would not fit the description of a volunteer and would not be allowed.


  • No person of any age may volunteer to work in or for a UGA department unless their efforts are part of a structured volunteer program approved by the University. Be sure to reach out to Ecology’s HR Liaison, Jennifer Mathews, for more information. You will work with her and UGA’s Associate Director for Insurance & Claims to develop a structured volunteer program BEFORE anyone is allowed to commence duties.


Program Directors of field trips must establish a program with the EBO. Once approved by the Dean each participant will need to fill out a field trip form.

Forms must be retained with the Program Director at all times.

Upon completion of the program/trip the Program Director must retain a program/trip file for all participants and forms 5 years after program/trip ends according to UGA’s record retention schedule.

Visiting Researchers/Scholars

Visitors who are not UGA employees or enrolled students and not contracted for services but are coming to UGA to observe or collaborate in research or to participate in activities that require access to UGA facilities, systems or services.

Units are required to register all non paid visiting scholars through the VRS program. All questions about forms or processes should be directed to Ms. Jessica Farmer at

     STEP 1: Faculty sponsor completes the VRS Questionnaire.

  •           The Sponsoring UGA unit is Ecology.
  •            The Unit Head should be the acting Dean’s name.
  •            The staff contact person should be Mica Turner (


  STEP 2:  Faculty should request visiting scholar complete the appropriate standard visitor agreement.

Note, if your visitor requires visa sponsorship you will need to follow visa protocols.

Visa Support

The U.S. Department of State says…

“A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.

(Note: U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit. In this situation, when planning travel abroad, learn about visa requirements by country, see Country Specific Travel Information in the Passport section of this website.)”

Templates, fees, policies and procedures are subject to change without notice. You will be contacted if additional information is required.